Sunday, January 06, 2008

"This is for my pal Cleetus"

clee-tus [clee-tuh s]
-noun
1. Another word for a redneck or hick. Derived from the popular TV series The Simpsons, a cleetus or cleet is a country bumpkin who is below average intelligence. Can be recognized wearing armless t-shirts and possibly sporting a mullet.
Put your top back on, you look like a right cleet.

2. Slang term for Britney Spears' ex-husband, Kevin Federline.
"I heard Britney was divorcing Cleetus!"

Source: urbandictionary.com

Last night I went to my first ever Rockabilly show. It was a bit of an accident, I suppose. We were meeting my bro-in-law for a few farewell drinks before he heads down to the sea breezes and salty air of Daytona Beach where, Lord willing, he can start a new, healthy life for himself. Unbeknown to the group, the chosen bar happened to be showcasing a delightfully fun rockabilly band called the Blacktop Rockets. Unfortunately we had just missed the Psycho Devilles and the Twistin' Tarantulas. Charles hated every second of it so, sadly, we didn't get to stay too long but I was there long enough to absorb the scene so next time I will show up prepared.

Checklist before heading out to the next rockabilly show sans husband:
* plenty of cash for plenty of pbr...i guess that should always be the case no matter where i'm headed but i figure i better go ahead and get it down so i don't forget
* brush up on my knowledge of roy orbison songs
* wear chaps
* if my chaps happen to be at the cleaners, wear plaid snap-button shirt
* if my chaps happen to be at the cleaners & my plaid shirts are all dirty (maybe from too much spooge cake at new year's?), a good pair of fishnets will work just fine
* trim bangs so they hang approximately a half an inch below my hairline
* show up with a guy either sporting a fierce, eye-gouging mohawk OR a snazzy fedora
* figure out which move in my extensive arsenal of kickass dance moves goes best with "
Awop-bop-a-loo-mop"
* do one of the following to my hair: bleach it, dye it black, dye it red....the jennifer aniston dark blond/light brown shade i'm currently sporting won't quite pull off the look
* perfect my speed bopping technique
* liberally tattoo arms, neck, legs

I was genuinely enjoying myself and a little bummed we left so soon. Fantastic people-watching, good music you can't help but bounce along with....what's not to love? I'm still trying to decide if last night was better than the surreal night we spent at Trader Vic's tiki bar watching a tiki band play as a bikini-clad chick with a monkey mask danced around provocatively/primate-ively while shoving bananas down her throat. Hmmm.

2 comments:

beans said...

i didn't hate every second... we left because you didn't really want to go out in the first place. i thought i was being nice saying that we could leave that quickly.

hmmmm, note to self: no more being nice, it only backfires.

Cami said...

oh! so, you liked it?