Monday, August 20, 2007

I hate you, Mozzie's!!!!


I'm staring at 4, count 'em, F-O-U-R mosquito bites I have received in the span of about 15 minutes sitting at my computer. I hate mosquito bites but getting a mosquito bite in my freakin' house really gets to me...feels so violating! Agh! That's something I miss about Denver...no bugs, at least not the bite-you-in-your-office kind. Is it me or does that mozzie to the left have genitalia?

Another thing that irritates me...little intsy, wintsy car accidents. So, this guy in front of this other guy slammed on his breaks today to pull into a $5 parking lot, probably so he could visit the whale shark death-trap at the aquarium. I'm so happy that he was able to find a cheap lot, I just wish he could've seen the lot a little sooner so he wouldn't have slammed his breaks causing the guy in front of me to slam his breaks causing me and my precious car to accidentally tappity-tap-tap his precious car. Dang! No damage to my car, minor damage to his but I assure you this episode will be a pain in my ass for much longer than necessary. Dang again!

On a positive note (because my glass is half awesome), the little bumper car game gave me an excellent excuse to come straight home and have a delicious beer. I need to calm my nerves, right? And now that I'm all intoxicated and feeling giddy, I shall share more positive happenings in my life....

Last week I volunteered at the USO at the Atlanta airport. It was both heartwarming and heartbreaking and I haven't wanted to give so many strange men a big hug in my entire life (sorry, hubs, but they needed one real bad...). The ones coming home were ecstatic and it was beautiful to watch the reunions...like the beginning of Love Actually on steroids. The ones leaving looked sad & weary. After seeing them I promised myself I would no longer bitch on Sunday nights about not wanting to go to work on Monday. I did a great job until Sunday night hit. And Dang again! These boys were headed back to loneliness, heat, fear, exhaustion, boredom and I was so sad to be the one walking them to their plane while the entire airport stood up and cheered. You think that Budweiser commercial during the Super Bowl made you tear up? Try being in the midst of all those emotions and seeing soldiers with tears streaming down their faces. Holy crap. Oh wait, I'm supposed to be talking about positive happenings....In all seriousness, volunteering at the USO was an amazing experience and I would love to do it again.

This weekend, my dad, sister and I traveled to the sprawling metropolis of Dunellon, FL. What's in Dunellon, you ask? 1) Grandparents...dad's parents to be exact. The grandma (we call her "Nana") a whopping 5'1", the grandpa (you guessed it..."Papa") a staggering 5'5". They are tiny. And adorable. And they have a blind Dotson named Dixie who also happens to be darn cute. 2) The most amazingly beautiful river I have ever seen in my life. Seriously. Everyone should go. The water is spring-fed and crystal clear...it looks like you're swimming in the Caribbean in some areas where the grass isn't growing on the bottom. You can see straight to the bottom even though it's 8-10 feet deep. It's called the Rainbow River if you want to check it out. I will post pics from the trip soon.

This week it's off to Austin for work & a quick visit with an old friend.

Enjoy these last weeks of the summer!

No comments: